The tiny fibers in asbestos are linked to lung cancer. When remodeling a home or commercial property in California, it is important to have an inspection done by an asbestos removal professional. Here are some basic facts to help understand asbestos in construction.
Common Locations for Asbestos Removal
Asbestos was commonly used in painting, roofing, and flooring. Some common household locations where we have performed asbestos removal in California include:
- Roofing shingles
- Textured paint
- Patching compounds
- Gas fireplace components
- Millboard or cement sheets in the walls and floors
- Vinyl floor tiles and adhesives
- Tape or blankets used to cover hot water or steam pipes
The first step for asbestos removal in California is to have an inspection done by a professional. Experts can identify the hazardous materials in your building. After determining the asbestos locations, asbestos removal and asbestos abatement professionals employ a step-by-step process to ensure that the removal is safe for you, your family, and the technicians.
Safe Removal of Asbestos
Professionals are trained to conduct asbestos removal in California safely. Some common asbestos removal techniques in California include:
- Sealing doorways, air ducts, and windows with plastic.
- Placing danger signs in areas of exposed asbestos as a warning.
- Installing HEPA filters to clear the air of hazardous particles.
- Physical removal of asbestos with the use of Hazmat suits and protective equipment.
- Safe disposal of asbestos and contaminated material as dictated by state and federal guidelines.
- Testing of the cleaned area to ensure air quality and safety for property owners.
Asbestos is a serious problem. Be aware before remodeling an older building, as asbestos may be hiding in your floors, walls, or ceiling. Contact an inspector to have a professional assessment done and arrange for the safe removal of any asbestos on your property.
If you suspect asbestos in your home or commercial property call a professional to test the materials. The company to call for asbestos removal in California is CVE at (707) 584-1900.